Schedule of Events (2022) Get on the Bus for Human Rights 2022 Virtual Speakers Panel has not yet been announced.
Get on the Bus for Human Rights 2021 Virtual Speakers Panel Friday, May 21, 2021 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. Eastern Time
● Welcome and overview by Kelly Turley, Co-Coordinator, Amnesty Group 133 and Get on the Bus Leadership Team Member
● Sri Lanka action: Justice and accountability for Ragihar Manoharan and the Trinco Five o Introduction by Aarthi Uthayakumar, Get on the Bus Sri Lanka Action Co-Coordinator and member of Amnesty International Local Group 133 o Presentation by Babu Ram Pant, South Asia Campaigner, Amnesty International
● United States action: End the federal death penalty in the United States o Introduction by Scott Langley, Get on the Bus Death Penalty Abolition Action Coordinator and State Death Penalty Abolition Coordinator, Amnesty International USA o Presentation by Derrick Jamison, Peer Specialist, Witness to Innocence and exonerated death row survivor
● Honduras action: Justice for environmentalist and human rights defender Berta Cáceres o Presentation by Larry Ladutke, Get on the Bus Honduras Action Coordinator, Chair of the Central America/Mexico Coordination Group, El Salvador Country Specialist, and New Jersey Legislative Coordinator, Amnesty International USA
● China action: End mass detentions of Uyghur people and unconditionally release all prisoners of conscience, including Uyghur economist and professor Ilham Tohti and Tibetan political prisoners action o Presentation by Jewher Ilham, human rights/worker rights advocate and daughter of Ilham Tohti o Presentation by Tenzin Yangzom, Grassroots Coordinator, Students for a Free Tibet
● Keynote speech by Dhondup Wangchen, Tibetan filmmaker and former prisoner of conscience held by the Chinese government from 2008-2014, with translation by Rinchen Dolma of YindaYin Coaching
● Remarks by Witek Hebanowski, human rights activist from Poland and founder of Amnesty International’s Write for Rights
● Call to action, acknowledgments, and wrap-up by Kelly Turley and Amnesty International Local Group 133 members
● Tentative: Musical performance
More details and related letter writing actions at www.gotb.org. Thank you for joining us!